Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Last Night


They knew it was me. 
Through my scent, they way I walked
My “heyyyy girls,” 
The slip under the fence, the clasp of my abs, the soft swing of my hair
Knotted in damp curls
Told them I was no predator
And how small I feel
When stating up at the white abyss that knows no end
Reflected in black marble,
Far as visible
A cool so deep 
That in between my arms
Rippling with taught muscle
All I feel is 
Open.
They were all sleeping, 
Together, under the overhang of the barn,
The hot breath through giant nostrils
The calm swish of long tail.
She put her nose to my stomach 

And I breathed. I breathed the air of eight years.
The holy air
Pure as the milky way
I sat there, in the dust, cradled by my horses
And cried and cried and cried. 
And they understood. 

1 comment: