Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Sidewalk

Today as I walked home
There was a hole
A hole in the sidewalk
And the precious taxpayer money

Money used to patch just this square
One house over from mine
Where my feet clamored daily
It was gone!

Simply vanished, and it rained, and the soil was clay
And I needed to sleep
Because a piece of me left
Left, and revealed the earth

Now the earth caused crumbles
And yes, needed to be replaced
I could see
My feet knew

My feet knew creeping home from forbidden activities
That I was just one away
Almost home
The night would part

Parted has the sidewalk
Those crumbles stung my feet
Blood drawn as over
The sharp corner I stepped

Stepped in many smooth things
The contrast was different, alive
And I loved the habitual stinging
Because then my shoes were off

Off in spring, because we needed winter
So it could crack in age
So we could sing in sun
So the blood was wine

These cracks were my blood
So familiar and necessary
Under my feet
And I miss them


No comments:

Post a Comment